It’s Christmas. The family is home. Chaos abounds. The kitchen counters are piled high with dishes and you’re washing those fragile, special items in the sink. Kids run through the room and an appliance gets accidentally knocked into the water. But it’s not a disaster.
With a pop, the power goes off instantly. Your life is saved by a ground fault circuit interrupter, and your holiday continues.
To ensure a happy ending, make sure GFCIs are installed in the kitchen, bathrooms and garage and any other areas near water. A GFCI detects an abnormal flow of electricity and shuts off the power, preventing shock or electrocution.